OMG… I just started graduate school (Yay and freak out at the same time). Needless to say I’ve been super busy, I’m taking 5 classes, 4 days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the worst…Im out of the house at least 12 hours on those days. All this craziness has inspired me to start a little blog post series for super fast, super tasty vegan lunches and food on the go for all my fellow busy vegans. Keep your eyes out for future blogs posts on this topic!
Super Fast, Super Tasty On-The-Go Lunch #1!
~The Green Lunch~AKA Avocado Cucumber Sandwich w/Green Side Dish
2 Slices of your favorite vegan bread Toasted… (I used Alvarado Baking Company Vegan Sprouted Wheat Bread)
1/4 of a Medium Cucumber, Chopped
Pinch Black Pepper
1 Slice of Lemon
I prepare this sandwich the night before and then just grab and go on my way out the door in the morning…or if you have more time than me in the morning, just prepare in the morning and ignore instructions for overnight refrigerating.
1. Toast your two slices of bread, set aside in your Tupperware or sandwich bag, refrigerate overnight. (You don’t have to do this, you can just grab 2 slices of bread on your way out in the AM). I like toasted bread though, and this process lets me have a toasted sandwich and since the filling of the sandwich is soft, I like the toasty bread for texture.
2. Chop your cucumber, place in a little Tupperware container.
3. Add 1/2 a ripe avocado to your cucumber. Add a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, and squeeze the juice of 1 slice of lemon (so the avocado stays green and doesn’t turn brown overnight).
4. Mash together with a fork until combined. Place lid on your Tupperware with the avocado/cucumber mixture and refrigerate overnight.
5. Grab bread and sandwich fill in the AM and run out the door! Assemble sandwich when you are ready to eat…you dont want soggy bread! Pair with another green side item, like green grapes! Or Kale chips! Or a green salad!